Monday, April 27, 2009

photography: simon hogsberg

"In 2001 I got a BA in photography from School of Media in London.
Today I work as a freelance photographer in Copenhagen. "

SH's website is really cool and has a awesome collection of projects that he has done over the years. def check it out. the two pictures bellow are from his "Faces of New York" project, where he took pictures of random people in NY and asked them what they thought of their face.


name: David Lawrence
age: 23
occupation:
Newspaper-boy
What do you think about your face?

I think my face looks good. I think it looks mature, young - maybe a little rebellious. It looks like it’s a little eager for something. Like if I saw a picture of myself, and I didn’t know who the person on the picture was, I would think that this guy has really got a goal. And so probably I’d like to look a little bit like myself.

I’m an average person, but I don’t have an average look. Even black people around my age and size… I’ve never really seen anybody who looked anything like me. I’ve got that 21st century look to me. I’m only 23. At the same time I’ve got a loooong beard like an old man, but I keep it shaved – there isn’t any grey in my beard, and I’m not loosing any hair anywhere. Normally when I have my hair out females go crazy for me. I can’t help it. God made me like that, I guess, and that’s another reason why I figure my attitude is not average. When a lot of the people that I feel are average get attention like that they turn a little arrogant. See me, I don’t get ahead of myself. Because I always know that it isn’t me who made

name: rhoda lukin
age: 75
occupation: political writer
What do you think about your face?
Essentially I would say I have made a drastic change the last three years. Age caught up with me. Good times caught up with me. Wild parties caught up with me. And what I see now is a truly aging woman. I no longer see the spontaneous, witty, charming… I see an elderly woman. And I find that difficult, but in a way very freeing. I don’t have to be the life of the party anymore, and I can talk to charming people like you and not have to feel that I have to flirt with you. I’m much, much freer although considerably sadder getting old.

I’m a writer, and I’ve been a writer through all sorts of times. Journalism and creative magazines, news etc. It’s very difficult for me to sit back and watch as opposed to be the active force. And yet I think that if I stick it out I will discover a way of aging that involves anything that is different from doing crossword puzzles. Keep your mind active, you know? I got fit with gym, but I can’t do that anymore, and I don’t want to pretend.

No comments:

Post a Comment